Million Day Card: They say that everything is bigger in Texas, which certainly seems to be the case for the upcoming season at Lone Star Park. In an announcement made yesterday, the track revealed that the Million Day card would return for the 2021 season. Making it the first time it has been on the calendar since 2011. The new season will open on April 22 and run through to July 11.
While the Million Day card, which will run on Memorial Day, will undoubtedly be the highlight of the season at Lone Star Park. It won’t be the only day where stakes races are part of the action. All told, there will be 20 stakes races on the calendar, with a total of $2.2 million up for grabs. This is big horse racing news for race fans in the Dallas area.
Million Day Card
The Million Day card on Memorial Day will have five stakes races for fans to wager on. The list set up as follows:
- Grade 3 $400,000 Steve Sexton Mile for 3-year-olds and up (this race will be returning after being postponed this season due to COVID)
- The $300,000 Texas Derby, a brand new race that will be 1 1/16 miles
- The $200,000 Ouija Board Distaff for fillies and mares, a turf mile race that is making a comeback
- The $100,000 Chamberlain Bridge for 3-year-olds and up, a 5F turf race
- The $100,000 Memorial Day Sprint for fillies and mares, a 6F race
In other horse racing news out of Lone Star Park: The new season will also have multiple stakes races on three more race dates. June 13 will be the Lone Star Showcase day, featuring five stakes races valued at $350,000. The Summer Turf Festival is set for June 27 and will feature four stakes races valued at $300,000. Finally, the Stars of Texas Day card will run on July 10. This one will feature four restricted stakes races valued at $400,000.
The Lone Star Park season will be 48 days in length and will run each Friday through Sunday. Although there will be a few select racing days on Thursdays and Mondays throughout the season.
Be sure to keep up with all the LATEST horse racing news by bookmarking Horse Racing Tote and visiting daily.